The Tyrant's Daughter - J.C. Carleson

3.75 Betrayal Stars

This book is tough for me to review. It's definitely not something I would have picked for myself, but when I got this ARC I decided to give it a chance.

Since Laila's father was just killed by his brother in a coup, she must flee from an unnamed middle eastern country with her mom & brother. They end up coming to the US & we follow Laila (15) as she tries to understand/fit in with her american classmates. After hiding out in the school library she starts to research what kind of man her father really was. Turns out she has been lied to all these years. Who should Laila trust now?

I'm glad I gave this book a chance. It definitely opened my eyes to the vast differences between our freedoms, especially as women, & what others have to endure under a dictators rule.

I didn't connect with Laila as much as I would have liked to. I think it's because she is 15 & I'm not that young anymore. Really started to enjoy this at about the 70% mark when we get a little suspense.

Unfortunately, once it's implied Laila is going to get her revenge for the betrayal the story just ends. I want to know what she does with the accounts.

(show spoiler)